Application Support Manager
Engineering / New York, NY
As Application Support Manager, Direct and Lead an Application Support Staff for an Industry Leader
Who We Are:
For over a hundred years Thomas has been a premier resource for the procurement process in the industrial marketplace. Today, our digital marketing solutions help suppliers share product information with prospective buyers. Engineers and procurement professionals use our web-based tools to source industrial products and services. Please check us out at www.thomaspublishing.com to learn about our brands.
Who You Are:
an amazing application support manager! For us, that means being a hands-on IT professional experienced in IT development / application management. You enjoy working with a diverse group of technical staff to support a portfolio of business applications, ETL processes and databases that are the backbone of many back office and publishing systems for the company.
What keeps the Application Support Manager busy:
1. Reporting to the Director of Technology, the application support manager leads and mentors the application support staff:
• Ensure that business systems and applications are optimally supported by information technology.
• Implement processes that take proactive approaches to potential business or technical problems.
• Establish best practice software application support methodology and processes. including maintenance and support roadmaps, processes and technical documentation
• Provide input to capital and operational budgets and manage operations in accordance with approved annual budgets.
2. Oversee and manage staff and consultant/vendor productivity.
• Responsible for the monitoring and performance of production applications to ensure that internal and external teams work together to resolve any impacts to customers.
• The application support manager effectively trains Application Support staff in performance of their duties and provide technical support and guidance to other team members as required.
• Manage resources, capacity, and work collaboratively with other IT Management to define solutions for complex resourcing challenges.
3. Work with customers to establish SLA’s and monitor work assignments and issue resolution according to ensure adherence to them.
• Communicate with customers on technical and non-technical matters and perform continuous process improvement to all support and maintenance activities.
4. Perform analysis of, and make recommendations for the improvement of existing information systems and perform ongoing reviews of new technologies and industry standards.
Essential Requirements for the Application Support Manager:
• Five or more years of progressively responsible experience in information technology development
• Five years of progressive experience in application management
• Ability to transform complex technical topics into understandable concepts for business users and ability to communicate business requirements to a technical audience
• Technical understanding of database applications and ETL tools
• Interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment and exhibit grace under pressure
• Bachelor’s degree in a related, technical field (or comparable work experience in excess of the required minimums below); Master’s degree in Information Systems preferred
• Prefer: 10 or more years managing and leading complex information technology projects and/or software development operations, preferably as an application support manager or similar type role
• Prefer: experience developing and/or managing business applications for content management, electronic publishing, business intelligence, order management, and financial operations
• Prefer Project Management experience